We left Plymouth, stopping at the JFK Presidential Library. Next up...Kennebunkport, Maine. Our first stop was a late lunch. We had lobster and more lobster at Mabel's. So delicious and a great introduction to Maine lobster! I had the lobster roll.
After resting for a few minutes, we headed down to the heated, saltwater pool. You couldn't beat the view! But it was definitely a little chilly when we got out. It was about 70 or 75 degrees outside.
There was a vintage car club staying at the hotel, so we enjoyed seeing all the cars in the parking lot!
We topped off the day with some dessert in the lounge/bar area by the pool. Blueberry pie for Michael and I...milkshakes for the kids.
The next day we took a walk down the coast along Ocean Avenue. There are some incredible views along this pathway, as well as some huge, luxurious homes. And of course, this coast is the summer home of George H.W. Bush - Walker's Point. We saw on social media that lots of the Bush family had just been there the week before.
We took a look at St. Ann's Episcopal Church, with it's beautiful outdoor sanctuary. This is the church the Bush family attends in Kennebunkport.
Above you can see some of the beautiful homes along this walk. And below you can see Jack ready to skip some stones.
“For our friend and 41st President George H.W. Bush. As he was for our nation and world during four years of tumultuous and historic change, so, too, has Kennebunkport served, in the words of St. Paul, ‘as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stead’ to him. Presented by those who love him as much as he loves this special place.”
After the Ocean Avenue walk, we headed into the town of Kennebunkport. We stopped for a break in the village green, which contained a garden in honor of Barbara Bush and her literacy programs. I loved her quote about peonies and volunteer work. The garden is called Ganny's Garden.
We never see peonies growing here in Texas, so it was a real treat to see them thriving in a garden.
Above - a statue called Our Forebears of the Coast
Below - a reminder of Barbara Bush's literacy efforts
After two nights in Kennebunkport, we hit the road again and drove north to Bar Harbor on Mount Desert Island. Along the way, we stopped at the Portland Head Lighthouse.
We also stopped at the L.L. Bean headquarters. This place was so big! We ate lunch in their cafe. I had heard that whoopie pies were popular in Maine, and we saw them everywhere. So of course we had to try them!
And further north we travelled...
DETAILS
HOTEL
The Colony - I loved that we could get a suite here with 2 bedrooms connected by a bath. It felt great to spread out a little at this point in the trip! We also loved the "retro" feel here.
ACTIVITIES
RESTAURANTS
New England Vacation 2017





I'm pretty sure the Portland Head lighthouse was the farthest north we went when we were there. We did go to LL Bean but I'm not sure if it was the headquarters or just a store. The houses and your hotel look amazing!
ReplyDeleteThis may be my favorite day of your trip!! This is exactly how I would picture the east coast in my mind. :)
ReplyDeleteWow, what a beautiful area! I would love to do a tour of New England.
ReplyDeleteI just love New England architecture and the Colony looks beautiful! I have only been to Kennebunkport once and it was just for lunch while we were in New Hampshire. Looks like I missed a lot! What a gorgeous coastal town. Thanks for sharing at Take Me Away again! Enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeleteShelley
So glad you enjoyed your trip to Maine. I am from Kennebunk and raised my kids there. Worked at all the old hotels (one right across the street from the Colony) during my college summers. Your pictures of the K'Port area are perfect! Just found your blog and am enjoying it! ~Cheryl from 22 Applegate Lane
ReplyDelete