Media Monday Jan 2017



Welcome to the first installation of Media Monday for 2017!  I have really enjoyed blogging about my reading and viewing over the past few years, and 2016 brought a more consistent schedule to the posts.  

On the first Monday of each month, I write about the latest books, tv shows, and movies that I have enjoyed.  Sometimes I throw in some young adult titles that the kids like, and sometimes I also include podcasts and You Tube channels.  You can check out all my Media Monday posts here, and I hope you'll come back for the new ones in 2017!  

Here's what we've been reading and watching this month...

BOOKS

I loved reading The Rumor by Elin Hildebrand on our recent trip to LA.  It was the perfect vacation read, like most of her books.  I couldn't wait to read this one in bed at the hotel at night and on the plane.  It takes place in Nantucket (which will sound familiar if you've read her other books), and is the story of two families and the rumors that almost tear them apart.  Great characters and one of my favorites by her so far.  In the notes at the end of the book, I read that she wrote this while being treated for breast cancer.  And a message that comes through is to appreciate the family and friends around you and savor every moment.



The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan is a cozy read about a librarian who loses her job and moves north to Scotland to run a bookstore in a van.  It is quirky and cute, and a perfect read for a winter day with a cup of coffee.  If you liked her other book Little Beach Street Bakery, then you should enjoy this similar story.


Since we just wrapped up 2016, I thought I'd pick my top five reads from the year.  These were my favorites, and I gave them all 5 stars on GoodReads.







MOVIES


We had so much fun seeing the movie Rogue One at the historic El Capitan Theater in LA last week! It is a really good Star Wars movie, and we all liked it even more than the one that came out last Christmas!  



While we were in Dallas, Suzette, Grace and I saw La La Land.  Loved it!  I saw this without knowing any of the "hype" about it, and really just wanted to see the LA scenery that we were about to see on our vacation.  I really enjoyed the different filming styles, old Hollywood style, and music in this movie.  Grace has had the soundtrack on repeat for the last few weeks!

What are you reading and watching lately?


(affiliate links)

Linking to:
Quick Lit with Modern Mrs. Darcy
Reading Lately with Planes, Trains and Running Shoes
Tuesday Talk with Full Hands Full Heart (and others)
Show Us Your Books day with Steph and Jana

13 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing your favorites! So many books -- so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I think I might check out the Bookstore one! Looks cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Elin Hilderbrand... I have not read that particular book of hers-I will have to see if they have it at my library!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't really read much this holiday season and I can't wait to get back on the reading band wagon!!
    I need to read that one by Erin Hildebrand!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved The Rumor and it's probably one of my top 3 Hilderbrand novels. However...I was not a fan of Rogue One. I mean, it was okay, but I liked the SW movie from December 2015 much better. Probably because it had all the old characters in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read A Man Called Ove and loved it. Are you on goodreads? ;-) I have been interested in La La Land but I think you may have convinced me to see it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am getting so excited to see La La land! I love old school musicals so I know this will be right up my alley. My husband and I saw Rouge one on New Year's Eve in the lounger theater and it was so good but he fell asleep in a couple parts. Those seats are just too darn comfortable. Happy new year friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved Little Beach Street Bakery, so I'm definitely going to have to try this Jenny Colgan book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tanya.. I love books about bookshops so I'm going to put Jenny Colgan's book on my list. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've given me a good 3-4 new books to add to my reading list. I read The Rumor and liked it! It was a good read for me because I usually read really heavy books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like a good vacation read so I might have to try Elin Hildebrand. The cover reminds me of a Beatriz Williams book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved A Man Called Ove and I am hoping to see La La Land next week!

    Here are my December reads: https://elle-alice.blogspot.ca/2016/12/december-book-reviews.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm definitely adding both of these books to my list! Especially, The Rumer! It sounds great! Also, I LOVED Rogue One but maybe that's just because I'm a Star Wars nerd. And I'm dying to see La La Land.

    Also, just wanted to let you know about a new "Reading Roundup" link up that I just started with a couple friends. We'd love to have you link up http://www.charlenemaugeri.com/2017/01/what-i-read-in-january-2017-linkup.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment...I appreciate you! I will either reply OR click over to your blog and comment there. Thanks for visiting and have a wonderful day!