How's your reading life going? Mine has slowed, stalled and simmered down! I had a few good months with my book report posts, but this month I abandoned more books than I read. Here's hoping November will be better! Here's a look at the books I did manage to finish.
⭐⭐⭐
The Switch by Beth O'Leary
I wanted to love this cozy British book, but ended up just liking it. A young career woman and her grandmother swap homes for a change of pace. The young woman moves to a charming Yorkshire village, and the grandmother moves to London. The book has lots of humor and romance told in alternating chapters from the two characters. I really enjoyed the grandmother's chapters, and found the young woman just a little annoying. A 3-star read, but still fun.
⭐⭐⭐
Outsider by Linda Castillo
I have given EVERY Amish mystery by Castillo a 4-star rating...what happened to this one? Usually her stories center on a crime in the Amish community, and Kate Burkholder and her police team solve the mystery. This book focuses on a corrupt policewoman on the run and hiding in the Amish community. It was just ok for me. Hopefully the author will return to her traditional story plot in the future.
⭐⭐⭐⭐
Fifty Words for Rain by Asha Lemmie
Japan, 1948: A mother abandons her daughter at her parent's mansion. The daughter's father was a black American with the military, and she spends her life trying to fit into Japanese culture. I really enjoyed this debut novel until about the last 10% of the book. It just did not end the way I wanted it to! Overall, an excellent book though. (BONUS: Good Morning America interview with the author)
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Blackout by Candace Owens
If you are interested in hearing a black conservative voice, read this book. I have listened to the Candace Owens podcast for a long time, and her book echoes much of the message she relates there. She is brave and smart and will definitely make you think about culture and politics in America.
November New Releases
Miss Benson's Beetle - from the author of The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry
White Ivy - a young woman's obsession with her privileged classmate
Girls of Brackenhill - a troubled woman is haunted by her sister's disappearance
Frontier Follies - stories from the Pioneer Woman
What have you been reading lately?
My newly designed Books page by clicking here or at the top of the page.






No comments
Thanks for taking time to leave a comment...I appreciate you! I will either reply OR click over to your blog and comment there. Thanks for visiting and have a wonderful day!