Albie 2015-2026


On Thursday, we made the difficult decision to put our beautiful dog Albie to sleep.  He was 11 1/2 years old, and we loved him so much!  Albie was our constant companion, through the flood, high school graduations, a move, and empty nesting.  His personality filled the house, and he always kept us on our toes!

Albie was always by my side: laying by my desk in the study, sleeping by my bedside, walking with me almost every day, and always ready for a cuddle or treat.  He was my shadow in the kitchen, waiting patiently for a piece of cheese or scrap of food to fall from the counter.  Albie had the most expressive eyes, and you truly felt like you were completely adored when he gazed at you.

We adopted Albie from the local shelter in March 2015 as a surprise for the kids.  He was about 8 weeks old, and somehow we thought he was a beagle or hound dog.  Later, a DNA test showed that he was a big mix of Staffordshire terrier, Lab, bull mastiff, and cattle dog.  The kids were definitely surprised, and Albie brought lots of fun into our house of teens.  He also brought a little pep to the step of our older dog Rosie.  

Albie was the smartest dog we have owned, but also the most obstinate.  He knew exactly what to do, but didn't always do it.  He was the best guard dog, with the fiercest bark you've ever heard.  He was honestly hard to control when someone came to the door, and they always stepped back about 10 feet from the door.  We felt very protected!

He was the most instinctual, rough 'n' tumble dog ever!  The list of his injuries and vet visits is long!  All of these required trips to the vet:  He got a tiny stick lodged in his throat.  He attacked a snake and got bit. He tore off his toenail running out the back door.  He dislocated his leg from running and turning too fast.  He ate various turtles and frogs leading to foaming at the mouth.

And worst of all, he broke my nose by running into me while I was kneeling in the flower bed!

If there was an animal in the backyard, he chased and attacked it with a vengeance.  This included squirrels, turtles, armadillos, snakes, frogs, and rabbits.

Albie loved to swim, and he probably missed our pool even more that I did.  He swam so much when he was puppy that he got swimmer's ear. 

His health had slowly declined over the past 9 months since he had a mast cell tumor removed from his leg.  It was a slow decline, until it wasn't.  In the past week, he was having a really hard time getting around.  He started panting at night and restlessly pacing around.  At first, I thought it was dementia, but then it progressed to panting in the day.  He looked so uncomfortable, and on the last morning just laid there without lifting his head.  The vet helped us make the tough decision to say goodbye.  

This farewell felt much harder for me than our other dogs.  He was my buddy as we entered the empty nesting years, and I'll miss my handsome boy so much.  

Surprising Grace and Jack with a new puppy.  
They named him Albus Dumbledore, and I often called him Dumbledogg.


Albie was a very active puppy!  He kept Rosie on her toes.
When we got him, he had just had a little surgery to remove hanging dewclaws, 
and you can see the bandages on his back legs.  He weighed about 18 pounds.

Albie loved to find sticks and play with them.


From the beginning, Albie liked to ride in the car on a seat like a person.  Here we were going to the junior high to pick up the kids from school.


We always said it looked like he was wearing eyeliner.
I didn't realize how white his face had gotten until I look at the puppy pictures.


Always lounging on the step of the pool


Albie loved to cuddle, and this just increased as he got older.


Always ready for some fun!


Albie posed for many Christmas card and family photos.  
He was really good about posing for the camera, especially if food was involved.


At this point, Rosie was 10 years old, and she would run one or two laps around the yard with Albie.  Then it was time for a rest!


Albie loved laying on the steps at just the right level to look out the window of the front door. 
We called it his Beagle's Nest or Perch.



My walking buddy Lisa had a dog the exact same age as Albie, 
and we went on many, many walks with Stetson.


So handsome!


Albie was always ready for a trip to the park.


Helping Jack take pictures for the first day of school.


Jack's contraption to get Albie to pull him around in my office chair.

More Christmas card photos!


If I was sitting outside, Albie would gaze out the window and sometimes scratch to ask to come outside.




My walking buddy - everyday for almost 11 years.  In the last few months, I didn't walk him.



These leather chairs were Albie's favorite spot, along with the couch.  
Later in life, he liked laying on the cool tile.



He was always up for trying on glasses or hats.







We all liked to wrap Albie in blankets, and he didn't mind at all.



Waiting for food




Albie would eat almost anything including watermelon, corn on the cob, raisins, apples, 
and of course, a burger on his birthday.


He sure did love Grace!


And Jack too!




Always getting comfortable on the couch


We thought it sounded like a galloping horse when he ran around the yard.



He always looked forward to Advent Calendar treats.


He couldn't wait for Grace and Jack to come home.


Mollie the puppy became his new best friend in 2024.  


They loved to play together.


And he taught her how to pose for pictures.


Good walking buddies




Our tradition of the dogs at the front door for Christmas over the years.




So handsome, so fun, and such a handful!
But a handful I was glad to have for the last 11 years.

Rest in peace, good boy.

16 comments

  1. Aww, it's so hard to say goodbye to a beloved pup. He sounds like he was well loved and had a good life as part of your family. The dog we have now is my hubs best friend. The dog before this one, when my girls were in middle school, high school, the move to the UK, the move back, kids moving out, well she felt like mine. Hubs traveled a lot then and she was my emotional support animal through some emotional seasons and I understand how special that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute to your fur baby. You gave him the best possible life and it sounds like he loved everyone in the family a ton. I'm sorry for your loss. I can see how losing him would seem like losing a bit more of the past since he was such a big part of the past eleven years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, Tanya, I am so sorry for your loss. What a sweet companion he's been to you all. I am sure he absolutely loved his life and now he is at peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I am so sorry! Albie sounded like such a big part of your family and a wonderful dog. Fantastic photos and memories. Sending love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this with tears in my eyes. I feel your loss and I am so sorry for you all. Albie reminded me of my old man Crash that we had to put to sleep last year; my Crashie was also the bestest boy and so many of our memories were wrapped up with him at the center. I know that Albie knew how much he was loved and treasured, just like our Crash. I loved all of these pictures and will be thinking of and praying for you all. I know this is hard; our fur babies really are our kids with fur. Love you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so so sorry for your loss. 11 1/2 is a good run and he had the best life with your family. Our Jett had a similar story toward the end and it's so sad we don't get more time with them.
    The Accident-Prone Albie details show us so much of his personality :) Hugs and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, I'm crying. Thank you for this tribute. I feel like those of us who read each others' blogs love each others' pets! We just don't deserve dogs, do we? They all have their unique quirks and it's so funny to hear them.
    I can relate to you saying the decline was gradual until it wasn't. I believe it's the most humane thing to do but it's the hardest I have had to do as an adult. Our vet told us that if we had to make the call we know in our hearts it's time. He was so compassionate with us.
    If you want to talk, I'm here. I will be thinking of you.
    How is Mollie doing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Tanya- I am so very sorry for your loss of Albie- I hope your memories with him will help warm your heart. He sounded like your best companion XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry about Albie. This is a lovely post in his honor. Adorable photos too. Hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a poignant account of your years with Albie….

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos, Albie was such a loving friend to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm tearing up just reading this. I've read so much about him over the last few years that I followed you. My heart hurts for your family. We lost two of our dogs three weeks apart in 2024 and it nearly broke me. I'm sure that Mollie will give you extra loves to help heal your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that must have been so hard. They really are a dear part of the family.

      Delete
  13. I'm so sorry for your loss! I loved reading about all of your happy memories with Albie! What a guy. How's Mollie doing? It's always hard for pets to lose their best buddies. It's hard on everyone. Praying for peace and comfort knowing you gave Albie a really wonderful life. Thinking of you all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was so sad when I stopped by your blog and saw the title of today's post. I'm so sorry for your loss, Tanya! Your words and photos provide such a lovely tribute to Albie and all he meant to your family. I'm thinking of you all as you continue to remember and celebrate him!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment...I appreciate you! I will either reply OR click over to your blog and comment there. Thanks for visiting and have a wonderful day!