Michael and I met 10 years ago, so I'm going to write a post about how we met...which I consider to be somewhat of a miracle!
Let's flashback to 1999...
I had been teaching for seven years and absolutely loved it. I was very dedicated to my job, and that was really my main focus. I worked long hours and couldn't imagine doing anything else. I had a few dating relationships thrown in there, but nothing memorable and definitely not any marriage material.
I had bought my own house, and had a nice little existence with my cat and dog. By this time most of my friends and co-workers had gotten married, so I have to admit it was a little lonely at times. I was usually the third wheel at functions, but still had a fun social life.
During the summer of 1999, I took a 3 week vacation to England and Scotland...by myself. I rode the trains around with my backpack and had lots of time to think. During all this solitude (amidst the crowds), I decided that it was really time to get on with my life...married or not. I felt like I had sort of put things on hold waiting for the right guy to come along. It was time to live my life to the fullest when I returned to the states.
What would that mean exactly? I wasn't sure, but I was really done just waiting around for Mr. Right.
So that fall, after turning 31, I placed an ad on Yahoo personals. Of course, this was something I NEVER thought I would do. But I thought I might meet someone interesting, since I seemed to have exhausted the blind date/church group route. And it was completely free.
I only told my closest friends, because back in 1999, internet personal ads seemed to have a negative spin. There was no eharmony or match.com. I made sure to be extra careful with my personal information, and hoped for the best.
Here's the nerdy school picture I posted with the ad. (Gotta love that big hair.)
Anyway, I did meet some men through the ad, but there wasn't a Prince Charming that showed up that fall. I had some fun dates, but also some creepy emails. And can I just a give wise word of advice to anyone thinking of using internet personal ads? There are A LOT of married men who use these. It is just creepy.
So after Christmas 1999, I had endured just about enough of the creeps, but thought I would rewrite my ad and post it one last time. I was ready to call this quits and just be happy by myself, if this last try didn't work out. I almost didn't even put it on, but decided to at the last minute.
And thank goodness, I did...because on Jan 11, 2000 a handsome man named Michael replied to that ad and nothing has ever been the same since then.
Click here to read You've Got Mail - Part II.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





Awww, what a fun post and a romantic story! I can't wait to hear the rest :).
ReplyDelete