You've Got Mail - Part II

This is a continuation of the story I started here in Part I.  To catch you up to speed, ten years ago I was teaching school and ready to be "content" with my life as a single gal.  I was giving online matchmaking one last try after several icky experiences with less-than-honest guys responding to my ad.

On January 11, 2000, Michael replied to my ad with a brief email describing himself, mainly his taste in music and LSU.  After the initial email, he sent more info in a "Cliff Notes" version of his life.  I was beginning to be intrigued by this guy who had grown up in Europe and worked in Alaska and Azerbaijan as an adult.  He even got a little "sappy" (his word), telling me what he really yearned for from a relationship...to let his guard down and trust his life in someone's care.  Wow, this guy was really different.



Michael and I were going through the old emails the other night, just reminiscing.  I said, "You sure wrote about working out a lot!  I think you were trying to impress me."  Ha, ha...maybe so!



After emailing and chatting for awhile, we started talking on the phone.  By this point, I was getting a little nervous about meeting him...he just seemed too good to be true and to be honest, my life seemed a little boring compared with his!

On January 28, 2000, Michael and I went on our first date.  We met at Pappacito's for dinner.  When we met, I went to shake his hand, and he came in for a hug saying "I don't shake hands with women."  Oh brother, is that just the worst line or what?  Anyway, he was so cute I gave him a hug, and that cheesy line has been a running joke for us for 10 years now.

We had a great dinner and then went to see a movie (Magnolia...the weirdest movie ever!)  It was a wonderful first date, and I couldn't wait to see him again.  Aside from that initial cheesy line, Michael was a perfect gentleman during those first weeks of dating.  We took things slow and I began to see just how different this man really was!




After awhile, we just started to hang out together and do everything together.  It was really the first time I hadn't felt like I was "dating" someone; instead I had met my best friend and just enjoyed everything more if he was next to me.




I guess when you're a certain age and you meet the right person, you just KNOW its right.  I just found this blog background, and I love what it says in the caption to the right.

Once in a while, in the middle of an ordinary life, 
LOVE gives us a fairy tale.

4 comments

  1. Oh, that's so sweet! So glad you found that one, right person for you - and well done on preserving that story!

    I also met my husband online - but through eHarmony. Sometimes I wonder how long it would have taken us to meet had there not been the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from SITS. What a GREAT story! My husband and I met through craigslist (of all places) a few years ago before it got all weird and gross. We lived less than a mile apart, but had it not been for the internet we never would've met. Best decision I ever made was responding to his ad, even though as soon as I hit send on that initial email, I thought I was crazy. Turned out, I wasn't. OR He was just as crazy. Either way, it worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok that made me tear up! I am so emotional!! Love your love story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome story - I have loved reading it....and you are right, when you know, you know! Glad you found him.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment...I appreciate you! I will either reply OR click over to your blog and comment there. Thanks for visiting and have a wonderful day!