I think this was my best reading month of the summer! Four of my books were rated FIVE STARS. I can highly recommend a historical book, a beach rom-com, a mystery, and a psychological suspense book. Enjoy the reviews!
⭐⭐⭐
Blisteringly sharp and hypersmart―meet Isabel Kaplan’s searing debut novel about a young woman trying to succeed in Hollywood without selling her soul. From the outside, the unnamed protagonist in NSFW appears to be the vision of success. She has landed an entry-level position at a leading TV network that thousands of college grads would kill for. And sure, she has much to learn. The daughter of a prominent feminist attorney, she grew up outside the industry. But she’s resourceful and hardworking. What could go wrong?
NSFW was a different book genre for me - contemporary fiction about a young woman working in male-dominated Hollywood in the pre-Me Too era. It was interesting to remember life when you were 20, struggling to find your place in the world. It was a quick read, and I liked it except for the rather open-ended, abrupt ending.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Romania, 1989. Communist regimes are crumbling across Europe. Seventeen-year-old Cristian Florescu dreams of becoming a writer, but Romanians aren’t free to dream; they are bound by rules and force. Amidst the tyrannical dictatorship of Nicolae Ceaușescu in a country governed by isolation and fear, Cristian is blackmailed by the secret police to become an informer. He’s left with only two choices: betray everyone and everything he loves—or use his position to creatively undermine the most notoriously evil dictator in Eastern Europe.
Septys' older book
Between Shades of Gray about Lithuanians in a Soviet Siberian work camp in the 1940's is one of my favorite books of all time. So I knew I wanted to read her newest novel about Romania in the cold war era. Michael and I listened to this driving to Auburn, and we both enjoyed it. I learned so much about the horrible conditions imposed by the dictator, the secret police, the everyday informants, and the strength of the Romanian people. An excellent story - just hard to believe it happened in my lifetime.
(As a side note, I had the privilege of visiting Czechoslovakia on a European trip after high school graduation. It was still under Soviet control in 1987, and I remember the soldiers boarding our bus and checking all our passports on the way out of the country!)
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
When twelve-year-olds Kat Steiner and Blake O’Neill meet at Camp Chickawah, they have an instant connection. But everything falls apart when they learn they’re not just best friends—they’re also half sisters. Confused and betrayed, the girls break off all contact.
Fifteen years later, when their father dies suddenly, Kat and Blake discover he’s left them a joint inheritance: the family beach house in Destin, Florida. The two sisters are immediately at odds. Blake, who has recently been demoted from regular nanny to dog nanny, wants to sell the house, while social media influencer Kat is desperate to hold on to the place where she lived so many happy memories.
Kat and Blake reluctantly join forces to renovate the dilapidated house, with the understanding that Kat will try to buy Blake out at the end of the summer. The women clash as Blake’s renovation plans conflict with Kat’s creative vision; meanwhile, each sister finds herself drawn into a summer romance. As the weeks pass, the two women realize the most difficult project they face this summer will be coming to grips with their shared past—and learning how to beco me sisters.
I just loved this light beach read by a new author duo. Both main characters were likable, the story moved along smoothly, and the relationship between the half-sisters seemed believable and real. There's so much to enjoy here: a home renovation, two romances, resolving tough family relationships, a Florida beach setting, and a fun summer beach vibe. {BONUS: interview with the authors}
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Casey Fletcher, a recently widowed actress trying to escape a streak of bad press, has retreated to the peace and quiet of her family’s lake house in Vermont. Armed with a pair of binoculars and several bottles of bourbon, she passes the time watching Tom and Katherine Royce, the glamorous couple living in the house across the lake. They make for good viewing—a tech innovator, Tom is powerful; and a former model, Katherine is gorgeous. One day on the lake, Casey saves Katherine from drowning, and the two strike up a budding friendship. But the more they get to know each other—and the longer Casey watches—it becomes clear that Katherine and Tom’s marriage isn’t as perfect as it appears. When Katherine suddenly vanishes, Casey immediately suspects Tom of foul play. What she doesn’t realize is that there’s more to the story than meets the eye—and that shocking secrets can lurk beneath the most placid of surfaces.
This author can be hit or miss for me, but this one was a hit. This book was psychological suspense at its best with a few very unexpected twists. I won't say more than that because I don't want to spoil it. I do not recommend the audio for this one - the narrator sounded like she had just smoked a pack of cigarettes!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
When Paris Peralta is arrested in her own bathroom―covered in blood, holding a straight razor, her celebrity husband dead in the bathtub behind her―she knows she'll be charged with murder. But as bad as this looks, it's not what worries her the most. With the unwanted media attention now surrounding her, it's only a matter of time before someone from her long hidden past recognizes her and destroys the new life she's worked so hard to build, along with any chance of a future.
I loved Hillier's first book, but thought her second was just ok. I am pleased to say this book lived up to the reading experience of the first! The plot is one that's been told many times - a woman is assumed guilty at a murder scene and her hidden past comes to light through the investigation. Some reviews say it is predictable, but Hillier's writing and the excellent audio narration kept me on the edge of my seat. {BONUS: interview with the author}
⭐⭐⭐
After losing her husband, Derrick, in what appears to have been a random street crime, thirtysomething Emma has built a new life with widower Tom, who is kind, handsome, driven, and successful. Emma is finally able to feel safe again, both in her relationship with Tom and in the home they've made together on the Connecticut shore. Then one day a homicide detective shows up at Emma and Tom’s door asking questions. Though Emma had been cleared of her husband’s murder, it appears that law enforcement is taking another look at her and the case.
This was a "light" mystery that felt long and drawn out. This book was a case of the author telling us all about the setting and characters without really showing anything through actions.
What have you been reading lately?
Adding I Must Betray You to my list!! I had heard about The Things We Do In The Dark before but heard it was pretty disturbing. I’ll have to look into it further! Lauren, not Anonymous
ReplyDeleteI loved The Beach Trap! I Must Betray You was good on audio. I liked Things We Do In The Dark but it wasn't a favorite thriller, and I agree about The Second Husband!
ReplyDeleteThe Beach Trap sounds so cute! I'm adding that one to my list!
ReplyDeleteMan, I had The House across the Lake on my list for audio books to read when it comes available through my public library. I'm curious now to hear the voice.
ReplyDeleteI have things we do in the dark on my list and the same with the house across the lake.
ReplyDeleteOur school library hosted PD this summer with four different books...and I Must Betray You was one of them. I heard other teachers talking about it, so now I've added it to my TBR list. I had hoped to read The Beach Trap this summer, but I'm still on the wait list...maybe it will be my turn to read it for our fall break at the beach.
ReplyDeleteI loved The House Across the Lake up until the ending. I put a few more on my TBR list thanks to you! Hope you had a great Summer, Tanya!
ReplyDeleteOh I just LOVED I Must Betray You! Her books Fountains of Silence was great too and I learned a lot about life in Spain under Franco's rule and how he fooled the whole world.
ReplyDelete