Anyway, since we were home all day I spent some time decluttering all of our built in bookshelves. Basically, four years of "stuff" had accumulated, so it felt great to reorganize, recycle, and rethink this area of the house. This process got me thinking about home improvements...what we've done to the house since moving in October 2005 and what I hope to accomplish in the coming years.
Improvements so far:
~One of the very first projects we did was putting tile in our living area. The carpet in our home is just a shade darker than WHITE. Obviously, we didn't pick this and I can't imagine a worse choice for kids and dogs! The off-white carpet in the living room was in the direct path of the dogs coming in from the backyard. Talk about dirt, grass, and mud. So we matched the tile of the entry hall and kitchen to give our living room a continuous look.
~Built-in entertainment cabinet made for the living room. There was a giant 8 foot niche for the tv, and I am so happy with the cabinet.
~Our house had about 1/2 faux wood blinds and 1/2 wood shutters when we moved in. We have gradually been replacing the blinds with shutters to finish out the remaining windows.
~Replaced the carpet in the dining room and study with wood floors...Mohawk Santa Barbara Light Amber Maple.
~Painted Jack and Grace's rooms.
~Bought a leather sectional for the living room.
~Bought a new washer and dryer.
~Bunk beds for Jack
Future projects:
~Put wood floors in the master bedroom.
~New furniture for the master bedroom (It may seem like we're buying a lot of furniture, but most of our house is hand-me-downs from grandparents at this point. At age 40+ it's about time to try something new.)
~Refinish the front door.
~Long term - in several years - repaint interior and replace carpet upstairs.
~A pool? I would hate to lose the play space in the backyard, but I know we would use a pool so much. In our area, you can swim (depending on your tolerance for cool water) from April - October. Michael thinks we could fit a pool and the swingset...hmmm. Something to think about!
~New furniture for the master bedroom (It may seem like we're buying a lot of furniture, but most of our house is hand-me-downs from grandparents at this point. At age 40+ it's about time to try something new.)
~Refinish the front door.
~Long term - in several years - repaint interior and replace carpet upstairs.


I've done more home improvement projects than I care to list in the past 4 years - the joys of an older home....for next year - we'll see what kind of house I'm in. LOVE all the stuff you have done to yours
ReplyDeleteI love your entertainment cabinet and shelves. I would like shutters for our gameroom, too. And, our master bedroom, but I just ordered curtains, so we'll see how it turns out--9 windows. I have a door refinishing guy if you are interested. We just had ours done right before Christmas.
ReplyDeleteYour improvements are beautiful! I would love to tackle a garden in the back yard this spring and plant some more trees!! Lots of painting on the inside and learning to sew curtains!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful!!! My home projects consist of packing, organizing and throwing out... but then our BIG project this year will be the new house.
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to say that I love the pics on your blog header.... LOVE them!