Home Tour 2023


We are so thankful to be living in our new home.  Selling our old house, buying this one, and moving all went smoothly, but I'm so happy to be looking at it in the rearview mirror of life now!  We are feeling settled and just have a few things left to unpack and put away.  Let's take a look at our new home tour...not perfect but a work in progress! 

As we go through the pictures, I'll talk about features we love, as well as some things we might change.  Starting in the front yard, we will be removing the stones from around the trees.  I have read that this is not good for the roots of the trees, and I think it will look better without them.


We love the stone accents on the front of the house.  In addition, the house has brick on all four sides.  That means no siding to replace or paint in the future.  The shrubs look a little worse for wear due to the freezes we have had in the past few years, but we will wait awhile to replace them.  For now, I added some color along the front of the flower beds.  We will keep the landscape rocks around the front flowerbeds since it is nice accent to the stone on the front of the house.


The thing I like most about the front door is the frosted glass.  We have always had glass front doors, which means people can see right in and Albie goes crazy watching any action in front of the house.  He has really calmed down with his barking with this front door!


When you come in the front door, there is a study with glass doors.  The entry table is nice with my battery powered light.  No outlet here!

We love the wood-look tile even better than what we had in the other house.  The grout lines are practically invisible, making a very smooth surface.  The tile is throughout the house, except for the bedrooms and game room.



I love the study!  Initially, I thought Michael and I would share this office space.  Then we discovered that his desk/workspace would fit in the game room.  The chairs in here are such a comfy space to lounge.  We do not have built in bookshelves in this house, so I pulled some bookshelves from the game room into the study.  


Here is the view as you come in the front door.  We call this the bowling alley...ha, ha!


Off of the main hallway, we have the guest room and Grace's room.  One interesting thing about this house is that the previous owners left all of their tv's hanging on the walls.  This means that the guest room and Grace's room have tv's already installed.  What a nice bonus for us!



Due to the size of the rooms, Grace took the queen bed that used to be in the guest room, and the guest room got a king size bed.  I hung some paintings that were from Michael's parent's house in the guest room.


Grace's room.  We plan to have shutters made for the windows that are currently blinds in the house.  It is about half complete.  The shutters really help keep the light and heat out.


Also off of the main hallway, we have our laundry room and a mudroom with entry to the garage.  The laundry room is so big, and I love having our extra refrigerator here instead of in the garage.  I also love that it is not right next to our bedroom, so that I can run the washer/dryer in the evening without the noise bothering us.


The dining room.  Right now this is a holding area for all the college stuff that will move back in August!  I strategically took a picture not showing the piles of stuff.

And I don't know what is going on with the lighting in these pictures.  I used the big camera thinking they would turn out better, but I think my phone camera would have done a better job.  Oh well?!


Getting close to the living room


A view of the living room.  Lots of things are different here than our other house.  First of all, there is no two story ceiling which will help so much with heating and cooling this space.  On the other hand, we will really miss our big fireplace and hearth, as well as the built in entertainment center.  And this space does not have floor plugs for any lamps.  But other than those little things, we are loving this space!  Our furniture fit really well!


Directly off the main living room, there is a game room with glass doors.  This has been officially named the man cave or Tiger Lair.  It is a work in progress!  Here we have our sectional from the game room at the other house, as well as Michael's desk (not shown in picture.)  We have hung some maps and architectural drawings, and Michael plans to also hang swords etc. on the walls.  He is planning to make a liquor cabinet and who knows what else. 

Even though this room is the man cave, it is so dark and cool that it will be used for lots of movie watching for all of us!


Here's the view looking out from the game room.


Even though this house is only about 10 years old, the previous owners already remodeled the kitchen. I love the contrast of the wood island with the white cabinets.  The granite has a matte texture that I had never seen before.  


The sliding drawer microwave and the drawer dishwasher were really different for us.  Still getting used to them!




I love having the sink in the island!  I had this at a previous house and like watching tv etc while doing the dishes.  Love the farmhouse sink and bronze faucets too!



This stove/oven is sooooo nice.  The burners get unbelievably hot, and it has a griddle too.  It has a small oven and a large oven.  This is the first time I've had a gas-powered oven (have always had gas-powered stove), and I swear my baked goods are turning out better!



Jack has his own wing off the main hallway.  He says he loves how quiet it is back there.


He is probably taking the desk with him to school, which will free up some space in the room.


Here's our room.  I love that we have room for a sitting area.  You might have noticed that our grey bedding is in the guest room right now.  That's because I love using this 20+ year old quilt during the summer.  It is so lightweight and soft!


Another view in our room.  Yes, this tv was left for us.  


This house has a huge patio, which definitely sold us on the house.  Here is the outdoor kitchen, which we really haven't used yet!



Initially, we were planning to keep the gravel and put a fire pit out there.  But it just looks too brown when we look out from the house.  So we are hoping to remove the gravel and put grass/sod in.  I also plan to put lots of landscaping in the back beds...you can bet there will be lots of flowers.

And yes, there is a giant tv on the patio that the previous owners left...yea!

So that's a wrap on our home tour.  I'm so grateful we found a one-story house that perfectly meets our needs right now!  Thanks for stopping by!

Previous Home Tours
2018 Part 1 and Part 2

22 comments

  1. Anonymous5:54 AM

    So beautiful! I’ve had a 2 drawer dishwasher for over 20 years. I love it!!! You never have dirty dishes in the sink. While one is washing you can be filling up the 2nd one. Can you tell me the brand and where you got your kitchen table? It’s exactly what I have been looking for. (P.S. I’m a Texas native too, Dallas! 😁)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We bought the table at Gallery Furniture here in Houston. It is an Amish craftsman table, but I'm not sure of the specific brand. You wouldn't believe how heavy and solid it is! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:09 AM

    I love it! I can't believe they left all the tvs but what a bonus. It's weird about the lack of outlets? It sounds like you are very happy and nothing has to be done right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that it's one story, and I bet you do too. I can't believe they left all those tvs! What a wonderful surprise for all of you, especially the one outside. That outside area is amazing! I also really love your kitchen- all of it! Thanks for bringing us in for a tour, I was excited to read this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks amazing! Congrats on finding such a great house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! That is awesome that the previous owners left all of those TVs!! Your outdoor space is absolutely amazingggg. That outdoor kitchen will be so wonderful to have! I love it all! Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:49 AM

    What a great house! I love the kitchen (wow) and backyard outdoor space - a perfect home for your next life phase congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is such an exciting post! Like everyone else, so great all those tv's were left behind! I love the front door and the walkway up to it. The floors are beautiful and both the outdoor and indoor kitchen are amazing spaces! Looks like you have great spaces already in place, yet fun to make them your own. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tanya, I love your beautiful new home. The kitchen is great and so big and I love your outdoor kitchen. I wish you a lot of happiness in your new home. Albie looks like he likes it too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your new home! So cute and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the new house! That outdoor kitchen is a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a lovely new home! How nice to have inherited a few TV's and not having to mount them yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE your new home. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the wood-look floor. Tile is SO much easier to clean!
    I agree on the one-story house: they're so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You found a gem!! Your new home is so lovely. I can't decide on my favorite part - that massive island, your kitchen, your patio or all the pretty woodwork. It looks like the perfect house for your family. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous1:23 PM

    Hi Tanya - I have enjoyed reading your blog the last few years but don’t usually comment. Congratulations on your new home! I had a similar issue with wanting lamps in our living room but having no outlets. We ran a white extension cord from the plug in the wall closest to the couch (about two feet away)taped it flat to the floor and then covered it with a runner rug. We then plugged the lamps into the extension cord outlet under the couch with both that and all the lamp wires hidden under the couch and it has worked well for us. Hope this makes sense! :) Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous5:52 AM

    Oh my goodness Tanya— I LOVE your new house! You’ve done so well to make it feel like a home. Your kitchen is absolutely stunning. I love that big island! And the outdoor patio! What a dream. Also, I love the singer sewing table in the guest room. I’m such a history nerd and have always wanted one (my grandma even offered me hers!) but we have nowhere to put it. I think it’s such a cool piece of furniture that is functional as a table but also has a history to it. Is yours from a family member or did you buy it at an antique store?

    Lauren @ Don’t Mind Our Mess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lauren! The sewing table is from my mother-in-law's house. We got it when she downsized. Grace has claimed it and will take it when she has a house someday!

      Delete
  17. Loved reading about your new house. It's just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations Tanya! It is a beautiful home! Can't wait to see all the planting you do! Love the outdoor kitchen!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment...I appreciate you! I will either reply OR click over to your blog and comment there. Thanks for visiting and have a wonderful day!