1. What's something you enjoy now that your younger self would never have appreciated?
I enjoy following current events and news. This includes all kinds of news: world, US, local, financial, and political. Although I did watch the evening news when I was younger, I was much more interested in People magazine instead of the Wall Street Journal.
2. What was peaceful about today?
I was called in as a "substitute volunteer" today at the library, and I had fun pulling books for the holds list. Getting lost in the library stacks is peaceful to me.
3. It's National Blueberry Day (July 8). Will you celebrate? You can have one of the following right now-a slice of blueberry pie, a warm blueberry muffin, or a stack of blueberry pancakes...which do you choose?
Although I won't be celebrating blueberry day, my pick would be blueberry pancakes!
This or that-
blueberries or raspberries? Raspberries! My favorite berry!
blueberries or strawberries? Strawberries. I guess blueberries come in last place.
4. Do you need a break? From what?
I can't think of anything I need a break from. I guess the heat, but that is just part of summer in Texas!
5. What has surprised you most about getting older?
Aside from a few occasional aches and pains, I still feel like I am in my 30's. I'm glad I have the wisdom that I have gained over the years, but honestly I still feel like I make mistakes and get things wrong. I wonder when that will end!? So it surprises me that I still feel like I am learning and growing at age 57!
6. Insert your own random thought here.
I was going to do a separate blog post to share some devotional/Bible apps that I like to use, but why not put it right here in the Hodgepodge! These are some apps I use or have used as a tool in studying the Bible. Obviously, I don't go through all of these devotions every day or all the time. But I wanted to share in case you are looking for new things to try in your walk with God.



Blueberry is probably my least favorite berry too-- though I do eat it on the daily I don't think I would it if wasn't mixed in with our strawberries and raspberries.
ReplyDeleteI don't use any devotional apps or websites but I've thinking that I'd love to find an app or website that I really like so I will check these out. I LOVE that you get the Our Daily Bread booklet in the mail! We had them in my house growing up and I used to read them, well, religiously, no pun intended. I feel like I'm in the thirties as well :).
ReplyDeleteI loved reading your answers today! Somehow I missed the this or that on the berries...oops. Strawberries are my top favorite berry, then blueberries come in next. Blueberry pancakes are the best! I also feel young...except for my few aches and pains. I love the YouVersion app...that's the only one I use. I used it yesterday while I was doing a Bible study! It makes flipping back and forth in the Bible easier when you can just hit the button on your phone. Even though I like it and use the app, I will always prefer a real Bible. I ordered a new one yesterday to replace the one that Noah's dog ate...it's spiral bound! I can't wait to see it in person.
ReplyDeleteI recently used frozen wild blueberries in pancakes and they were so good! I feel the same way - 30s on the inside mostly - but still haven't figured as many things out as I thought I would! I am chalking it up to still caring so much which is better than not caring. The reason I overthink is because I care about the situations. I have some friends and acquaintances - and family members - that I feel put very little time into making decisions that are good for the group or for others' benefit. Does that make sense? So the fact that you and I are still getting it wrong might just mean we care.
ReplyDeleteI'm old school with Our Daily Bread too : ) And it's larger in size than it used to be which I also appreciate lol. I don't typically listen to the daytime prayers but like the Lectio evening prayers a lot. I think it's good to always be learning. Keeps us young on the inside at least. Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteI feel younger inside too. I'm much more in tune with news these days too probably thanks to social media.
ReplyDeleteFeel the same way about the way I feel nowadays- Amen! Thanks for sharing these bible apps Tanya :)
ReplyDeleteI use Word-Go and a Bible app on my phone if I am out and about.
ReplyDeleteBlueberries are my least favorite berry, and I prefer them in baked goods. Strawberries are my favorite.
Enjoyed your answers.
I have two fantastic recs for you based on your post today!
ReplyDelete1. I agree with you about watching/listening to the news now much more than when I was younger! If you have never listened to The Newsworthy, it's a daily podcast that presents the news in 15 mins or less each day. I love it- it's about as unbiased as news can be and I find I feel up on the times without feeling too overwhelmed.
2. Another tool/app that we have always used in our family devotional/prayer time is called Operation World. It presents each country of the world and different prayer requests for each one, so you can pray for a different country of the world each day. It's pretty cool! There is a book but there is also an app.
I probably watch less news now than I did when I was a kid. The news now stresses me out too much.
ReplyDeleteBeing at the library does sound peaceful!
I enjoyed your answers. Those apps look great too. I am also 57 and some things (physical), have been driving me nuts...I attribute most of them to menopause. Uggh.
ReplyDeleteI have that Bible app. I really like Bible Hub! I am going to be 71 but I still feel young. Body reminds me I am not. I need to exercise daily. I can't watch too much news, it is too depressing. visiting the library sounds like a good idea. They have a used bookstore where I can buy used books. I hope you had a nice time.
ReplyDeleteOur Daily Bread was part of my growing up too, but I haven't read it in a long time. I love that they still publish this! I hope to always be learning and growing, especially since I am always still making mistakes in life. So nice you were able to be in your peaceful place of the library this week!
ReplyDeleteDang. I need to start participating in WH again! Such a fun post.
ReplyDeleteI have several of those apps but I probably use Hallow the most. I just love Fr. Mike! And Jonathan Roumie is wonderful, too. He has the most calming voice.
ReplyDeleteYour volunteer position at the library sounds wonderful. I would love getting lost in the book shelves, too! I, also, am grateful for the wisdom I have now but I often wonder how am I 66 when I still feel like 35 inside. Then I remember how much I used to accomplish in one day and I know! It also reminds me of my momand grandma wondering the same thing and I also look at my daughters and how confident they seem at their age and I'm proud and envious at the same time. I'm excited for them and all that awaits! Thanks for the bible app tips, too! Lots of great resources to check out!
ReplyDeleteThat is so true that I used to accomplish a lot more in a day!
DeleteI too would find getting lost in the book stacks peaceful. I used to work at libraries and shelving books was so satisfying. I really like your July memes (photos? collages? I don't know what to call them) which you sprinkled throughout your post.
ReplyDelete