Monticello


After we left the Shenandoah Park area, we drove over to Monticello near Charlottesville.  This was Thomas Jefferson's home, which he designed himself starting at the age of 26.  It sits atop a hill, with views to all the surrounding hills, valleys, and trees.  We visited here in 2003, and it was fun to give it a second look...with teens instead of toddlers this time.




Built in a neoclassical style with a distinctive dome, Monticello is really breathtaking.  By having remote parking with shuttles, they have preserved the beautiful views of the surrounding area.  There are plenty of flowers and gardens surrounding the house.  Guided tours of the house are included with the ticket, and it was very informative.



It was a bright, sunny day, but not too hot.  Or nothing a little ice cream wouldn't fix.




As shown by all my flower pictures, I really enjoyed the gardens!


The Monticello grounds include some restored slave cabins as well as some vegetable gardens.  The plantation originally grew tobacco, and then switched to wheat.



I think Monticello is even more popular than ever due to the Hamilton craze.

We wanted to recreate some poses from our 2003 trip.  At that time, we had gone to Baltimore for a family wedding.  Then we explored Mount Vernon and Monticello.  Look how cute Grace was at age 15 months.  And I was pregnant with Jack!  
Carter's Mountain Orchard

On the grounds of Monticello

4 comments

  1. So cool. I am so close to all of these areas and have never been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you purchase seeds from the gift shop? My mom loved when I brought that gift home from my trip as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flowers are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful! I'd love to go there one day. Y'all have been exploring areas that I haven't yet visited!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment...I appreciate you! I will either reply OR click over to your blog and comment there. Thanks for visiting and have a wonderful day!