With my National Parks Passport calling for more stamps, I couldn't let a visit to the area go by without a trip to Shenandoah National Park. After our tour of UNC Chapel Hill, we headed up to Virginia to stay in the hills near this national park. We stopped for dinner at the Devil's Backbone Brewpub and then to our hotel, the Fenton Inn.
I was delighted to wake up to this view the next morning. And thank goodness the temperatures were cooler with the higher elevation! We headed out for our usual drive-n-hike experience.
When I see a frog, I have to take a look!
It was fun to hike little parts of the Appalacian Trail.
We met a few hikers who had been on it for months!
Great views and clear skies!
Michael and I have figured out that when the trail is rated easy, that is just our speed. Sometimes even the easy hikes can be challenging with lots of elevation change.
We were worn out after this day of hiking!
We drove about halfway into Shenandoah National Park, and then turned around at the Big Meadow Visitor Center. It was so scenic to drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway and see the beautiful views. We liked the Devil's Backbone restaurant so much we went back there again on this night.
And we wrapped up our day in the Smoky Mountains with some misty clouds and a rainbow back at the hotel. What a great day in a National Park!
North Carolina and Virginia 2019


SO BEAUTIFUL. Can you believe that frogs FREAK me out? like your legs should not be about to hop like that. seriously FREAK me out. HA
ReplyDeleteWe are hitting up national parks too and I like the easy hikes! Love the rainbow you saw!
ReplyDeleteLove your pictures! They make me excited for our trip to Shenandoah National Park one day!
ReplyDelete