Atlanta 'n' Auburn

When all of our phones are in the same region, Mama is happy!

We had such a nice visit with the kids last weekend at their college campuses.  I don't think I realized how much I missed them until we saw them!  I couldn't have asked for a better time with them.  Everything from the weather to the shopping to the football was just about perfect.  Here's a look at our long weekend in Alabama and Georgia.


A little blurry, but we are feeling happy to be on our Southwest flight to Atlanta on Thursday afternoon.  Air travel right now is still a little crazy.  Our flights there and back were completely full.  On the flight to Atlanta, they were offering a later flight, a travel credit and $900 if you would give up your seat.  We were tempted, but wanted to stick to our schedule.



We picked up our rental car and fought the Atlanta rush hour to get over to the Emory campus.  We picked Grace up and went out to Masti for quick service Indian food.  She had to go to a campus meeting that evening, so Michael and I headed to the hotel.



On Friday, Grace went to class in the morning and we picked her up around 11:00.  
We ate barbecue for lunch.



Grace wanted to show us this giant thrift store.  She found two skirts.  



Grace got a haircut, and then we did some shopping at Sam's Club and the grocery store.



Michael hadn't been to Grace's new dorm/apartment, so we parked and took a look at her place.  Then took a little stroll around the upperclassmen campus.  This area is about a mile from the main campus with shuttle buses.  There is a small cafeteria/grill, a gym, mail room, green space, and large outdoor pool.  It is set in a wooded area and really pretty!





Some selfies at the dorm



We went out to dinner at Bantam and Biddy (southern style food) with her roommate.  
And that was a wrap on our visit with Grace in Atlanta.  We are so proud of Grace and all her hard work.  She has a challenging courseload for her junior year, with several extracurricular commitments and a paid research position.  I don't know how she manages it all.  I'm looking forward to spoiling her over Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks!



Saturday morning we were up early to drive down to Auburn.  We picked Jack up and went to lunch.  Then we spent a little time at his dorm.  I was happy to get to see all of his roommates.  Jack completely rebuilt the electronics of his guitar in the Engineering Makerspace Lab, so we were excited to hear the new sound.



After visiting in his room for awhile, we headed out onto campus to see some of the buildings where he has class.  We were also looking forward to seeing all the tailgating and school spirit.  The weather could not have been better, with not a cloud in the sky.



We are a house of tigers...divided!

I have started following the social media for all things Auburn...band, cheerleaders, etc.  I was so pumped up to see all of the pre-game school spirit before the game...and it did NOT disappoint.  It is so different from what I experienced as a student at UT and I loved it!  



As we were walking along, we saw a great drumline mini-concert near the stadium.


We saw the players, coaches and Aubie walk to the stadium - it's called Tiger Walk.



We saw Aubie headed to the stadium.



Here are the cheerleaders and band marching to the Four Corners Pep Rally.  They come from four different streets to a corner by the stadium for pre-game pep rally.



You can see the leader standing on the ladder leading the band.  So fun!




From there we headed to our seats in the stadium.  We were upper deck, but still had a good view of everything.  You can see the student section packed on the other side of the stadium.  Students get to there 2+ hours early to grab a seat.




We were pumped up about the game.  Right before the game, the eagle flies around the stadium.  Jack showed us where they release him on one of the upper deck ramps. 
You can see a video here:  Flight of the Eagle





Some assorted band photos


The video I took from the band entering the field for the pre-game show.


A flyover for the National Anthem



A great view of campus in the setting sun.
You can see the "stripe the stadium" with everyone in a section wearing orange or blue.
And the game...well, it was a fun game, and Michael was happy with the outcome.



I had to snap this picture of Jack watching the game because I love the Auburn creed on his shirt.  When we took the "Very Important Tiger" tour a year ago, the creed really resonated with me (and I hope with Jack too.)  It kind of sold me on the university.



There was a special lights out/phone flashlight/fireworks show before the fourth quarter.  
We had a long walk back to our parking garage and then a 30 minute drive to our hotel.  We were exhausted!


On Sunday, we went to church with Jack and grabbed some pizza for lunch.  Jack got a haircut, and we did some clothes and shoe shopping at Sam's and Academy.   

From there, we drove back to Atlanta, returned the car, stayed at the airport hotel, and took a 6AM flight back to Houston.  I think I am still recovering from our big weekend!  I'm so thankful we had such a wonderful visit with both kids.  When they're happy, I'm happy!

17 comments

  1. This sounds like such a lovely and full weekend! I'm so glad y'all were able to enjoy such special time with each of your babies - even if those babies are in college now! As the mama of a toddler, it's fun to see a different arena of parenting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I remember being so busy when the kids were toddlers, and believe it or not they need you just as much as teens, just in a different way. Thanks for stopping by - have a good weekend.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5:08 AM

    This is amazing! I am so happy for you! Thanksgiving will be here before we know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait for the holidays, and our planned trip in a few weeks is something to look forward to also!

      Delete
  3. It's great you can visit them both at the same time like that. The game reminds me of when I went to Nebraska when Rutgers was there for a game. The spirit was really a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great weekend! So cool your kids ended up going to colleges not that far from each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To See this makes my mamas heart so happy! I love college visits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:13 PM

    Looks like a great trip! Can I ask what thrift store you all went to? I live in Atlanta and love to thrift, but don’t know that one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was called the Last Chance thrift store. To be honest, it had items that were on their last chance. You really had to dig through things to find something. My favorite resale shop we've been to in Atlanta was the Cathedral Thrift House on Piedmont. Very nice items, beautifully displayed.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous4:59 PM

      Thanks! Been to the Cathedral one—that is a good one! Some of my favorites are CAC on Roswell Rd, buckhead goodwill on Roswell rd and NFCC on Elkins Rd.

      Delete
  7. This post makes me so happy for you. I think I smiled through reading the whole thing! I'm so glad your flights were uneventful and that you had wonderful visits. The kids look so happy to see you. I love that you got to do a mix of practical and fun together. You two make great college kid parents.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing weekend with your kids! I love that they are pretty close to each other. Y'all had so much fun and did so much! I'm sure you loved meeting/hanging out with their friends and roommates too. It will be Thanksgiving before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like such a fabulous weekend with both kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know your momma heart was so happy after this weekend! Also, I spy ME on that map! Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:29 PM

    This post just gave me all the feels! Still secretly hoping Carly chooses Auburn! Lovely pics of your crew

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I loved reading your recap! I love seeing all the phones in the same region. I can relate to that! So glad y'all had good weather and one-on-one time with the kids at their schools. We have a friend from church whose son is in the Auburn band. Hope y'all are feeling rested and back on track this week after a busy travel weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment...I appreciate you! I will either reply OR click over to your blog and comment there. Thanks for visiting and have a wonderful day!