Monthly Musings


Hi y'all! Can you believe October is already wrapping up?  This fall seems to be flying by!  Today I'm linking up with Holly and Patty for some Monthly Musings about Thanksgiving.


1.  For many years, we used the weeklong Thanksgiving break to travel.  So we had lots of restaurant Thanksgiving meals during those years.  Since Grace has gone to college (and now Jack too), we have Thanksgiving here at our house.

2.  I usually make most of the dishes, with family bringing a few add-on's.  There is always plenty of food!  I have recapped our Thanksgiving Menu on the blog here and here.


3.  My favorite Thanksgiving recipe is the TURKEY.  It is foolproof and I have used this recipe for over 10 years.  Even in England when I had to pick the feathers off the legs of the turkey!  (yuck)

4.  Like I said in #1, our tradition used to be travel for Thanksgiving.  Since 2020, our day has included a relaxing morning with the parade and dog show on tv, late lunch at our house, and some football.  It is a pretty laid back day.  

5.  I had to look up the difference between stuffing and dressing.  I always call ours "stuffing" but I do not cook it in the turkey.  You can see my semi-homemade recipe here.

6.  Pies...I'll take all three flavors please.  I love pumpkin pie, but I am the only one in the family who does.  Michael loves pecan.  Jack and Grace like apple pie.  So we usually have a variety of desserts for Thanksgiving.  I love to make pies, but am finding it hard to beat the deals on pies at Sam's and Costco.  
7.  I like to set the table, whether it is super casual with paper plates or casual with everyday dishes, or fancy with china.  Last year was the first year I had pulled out the china since Harvey in 2017!

8.  I like to serve sparkling grape juice, as well as a mixed drink of some kind.  

9.  I think I have gone out of Black Friday morning one time in my life!  Now I prefer to do most of my shopping online...so many good deals.  This year I'll be looking at the sales at Sam's, Costco, Amazon, Target and Walmart.  

10.  We usually watch some football on Thanksgiving.  Then we decorate the tree on Friday while watching the movie Elf.  

Needless to say, I am looking forward to Thanksgiving this year more than any past year!  I just can't wait to have both kids back in their beds at home for a few nights.  Jack will have the whole week off, but Grace has class Monday and Tuesday.  Counting down the days!!

10 comments

  1. Your Thanksgiving pictures are lovely! I love traditions. I look forward to that day coming up! We always call it "dressing"...isn't it funny how different states/places call it differing things? I do understand the concept behind stuffing, when you stuff the turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to have the tradition of the parade and dog show watch but not we've been traveling on the actual day! We call it stuffing too even though that's not how we make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best Thanksgivings are when everyone comes home- I am wishing you a great one-sounds like it will be the best one yet! Thanks for sharing your turkey recipe too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you can't wait for your kids to be home. It's coming up fast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad I'm not the only one that had to look up the terms stuffing and dressing! We too call it stuffing but don't actually stuff the turkey with it. I bet it will be so wonderful to have the kids back home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun to have the kids home soon and celebrate with all these wonderful traditions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Your turkey prep while in England is quite the adventure. Thank you for joining us this month.

    Patty
    GoodBetterBestFood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your Thanksgiving game plan! And that both of your kids will be home for Thanksgiving. That'll be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE your tablescapes! so pretty. Your #10 sounds perfect, and I'm sure you can't wait to have your kids home! That will be the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for being able to celebrate with your kids! That must be so exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment...I appreciate you! I will either reply OR click over to your blog and comment there. Thanks for visiting and have a wonderful day!