Weekending


I'm starting our weekend wrap-up on Thursday.  Our new appliances were delivered!  Here's the before.  Our cooktop was already taken out.


And the after...


Actually, my day on Thursday really felt like Friday the 13th had arrived a day early.  There were several problems with our appliance delivery.

The first was that the cooktop was about 1/4" too small on all the sides.  Apparently, this is common problem with older models, and there is a piece of trim that you have to buy to go under the edges of the stove.  Ok, we solved that problem and ordered the piece...to be delivered and installed next week.


The second problem was that the builders (circa 1999) tiled around the legs of the dishwasher. Normally the tile stops where the edge of the cabinet is, or it might go all the way back.  Nope, ours actually encircled the legs of the dishwasher.  So our handyman is coming tomorrow to cut the tile away, so that the old one can be removed and the new one installed.

And the last issue was a very expensive mistake on my part.  We got a fancier line of appliances than we had planned because of a rebate I found.  Well, upon reading the fine print, the deal is not eligible if you buy the appliances from a major retailer (only specific appliance stores).  It was as clear as day, and I don't know how I didn't register that in my brain.  Bottom line - we are happy with the models that we chose, but the rebate would have put about $1000 back in our pockets.  I felt so stupid, but not much to do about it now.

So now on to the weekend.  I spent Friday working on more appliance stuff and lining up our handyman to do the tile work and also repair some walls from the gas line installation.  Friday night, we inaugurated the new kitchen with some homemade pizza.  We went for a swim afterward.

Saturday morning, Michael and the kids went to watch cousin Emma in a TKD tournament while I took the dogs for their vaccinations.  I opted to go to the low cost vaccination clinic at the shelter where we adopted Albie this time around.  It took a long time, but saved several hundred dollars.  So time well spent.  The dogs did so well sitting and laying down while we waited.  I was pleasantly surprised!


Saturday afternoon Michael and Grace went to lunch at a Mexican restaurant, while Jack and I picked Five Guys Burgers.  Then Grace volunteered at the library for an Asian festival.    And we added some straps to her strapless dress for the 8th grade party/dance this Friday...dress code!

We wrapped up the day with breakfast for dinner.  We love that the new stove came with a cast iron griddle!

We watched the original X-Men movie for our movie night.  We are going to try to watch a few before the new one comes out in a few weeks.


Sunday we went to church and then to Emma's roller skating 11th birthday.  Hope you had a fun weekend too!

Linking to:  Weekending with Biana and Meghan

3 comments

  1. GORGEOUS new appliances! I love breakfast for dinner too - when faced with sleep a little longer, or "real" breakfast, I always choose sleep:)

    Laura
    www.blackcoffeebeautiful.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya! You have a gorgeous kitchen and so fun to have new appliances!! So glad you had a good weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't help but laugh at you having to put straps on Grace's dress. Look, I was a senior in high school and my mother put straps on my strapless dress and not because of a dress code. There was no way I was getting out of my parents' house with a strapless dress on for prom way back in 1991! Ugh!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment...I appreciate you! I will either reply OR click over to your blog and comment there. Thanks for visiting and have a wonderful day!