Cancun 2020: The Hotel


As I mentioned in the overview, I was inspired by Cassie from Hi Sugarplum and her trips to the the Hotel Belmond Maroma.  This looked like a great destination for us.  After further research, I decided to look for a larger resort with more activity options for our family in the same beach area as Belmond.   I found the Fairmont Mayakoba a few miles south.  I couldn't have been happier with this choice!  

We stayed at a Fairmont in San Francisco and really liked it.  The Fairmont Mayakoba is part of the Mayakoba development near Playa del Carmen.  The development also has a golf course, vacation homes, the Andaz Hotel, Banyan Tree Hotel, and Rosewood Hotel.   The property includes the beach area, as well as 45 acres of lush jungle and canals.  


We opted for a Beach Area Casita Suite.  In the photo above, our room was located just behind the large house on the left.  It was about a one minute walk to the beach and pool.  I liked that we could all fit in one room with this choice.  It was 1100 square feet with two bathrooms.  The kids slept on the sofa bed and a rollaway bed.  We all had plenty of space.



Did I mention that our room had a rooftop pool?  This was another huge benefit for us.  We all enjoyed coming back to the rooftop pool for some quiet time together and some shade.  I also liked the privacy of having a casita instead of a room in the main hotel building.



Here's a look at the beach area casitas from another angle.  Ours was on the far right, and we didn't have a water view.  I think I would have requested the better view if I had known there were casitas with just a jungle view.  But no worries!





Here are some views of the living room, bedroom, and bath.


The patio extended around the entire room.  You can see our jungle view here.



The steps to the pool



Our lounge chairs had fresh towels everyday


Two other things I loved about our hotel:  the butler and the all-inclusive dining!

Yes, that's right I said BUTLER.  Now this is not someone who unpacks your suitcase and irons your clothes.  I would call him more of a personal concierge.  I was in email contact with Kevin the butler several weeks before our arrival so that he could make arrangements for us.  He set up our airport transportation, spa appointments, cooking class, kayak tour, and restaurant reservations.  During our stay, he texted us every day to see if there was anything we needed.  Sometimes he would just appear to check in with us.  As the travel planner in the family, it was SOOO relaxing to hand some of that responsibilty over to someone else.  It made the vacation just perfect for me!

When I made the hotel reservation, I went back and forth on adding the all-inclusive dining option to our room.  It might have been more than what we would have spent a la carte, but it was really freeing not to think about each drink we ordered or snack we tried.  The all-inclusive plan includes all restaurants, room service, and the mini-bar too.  The food quality was exceptional, unlike some other all-inclusives we've had.


Here's a look at the main pool area.  It was huge and never seemed crowded.  There are other pools at the beach and main hotel building too.


This is the quiet/adult pool near the main pool.

Here's the rooftop pool at the spa.  We loved our massages here.



You can see from this diagram how big the resort is.  It is walkable, but there are also bikes everywhere and golf carts running around every few minutes.  The yellow arrow is pointing to our room, a beach area casita.  I would love to stay in a beachfront casita someday!  The regular casitas are located around the canals and lagoons in the center of the picture.  And the main hotel building is at the top with its own standard style rooms.

We all agreed after our stay that this is the nicest hotel experience we've ever had.  The property is beautiful, and the service is just the best.  I highly recommend the Fairmont Mayakoba for a splurge beach vacation!
Cancun 2020
A Cooking Class

{Some photos are from the Fairmont website.}

No comments

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment...I appreciate you! I will either reply OR click over to your blog and comment there. Thanks for visiting and have a wonderful day!