Cancun 2020: Relaxation


As I mentioned in the overview, the family all said that they were interested in just relaxing on this beach vacation.  Since our trips usually tend to be on the cultural/educational side, I was just fine with this request.  The Fairmont Mayakoba was the perfect place to do this, with great food, nice weather, incredible service, and beautiful scenery.  Here's a look at our week.



We arrived a very windy Monday afternoon.  After lots of ooo's and ahh's about our suite, we put our swim suits on to go look around the pool and beach.  Everything was pretty empty, and the only day that felt busy was Friday.  I'm not sure if this was because of the coronavirus or because the resort is so spread out.  But it was nice!


After enjoying the view for a bit, we changed for dinner.  Our first night, we ate at Las Brisas.  This restaurant was closest to our room and the beach.  We all had delicious grilled dishes.  Michael, Grace and I ate fish every night.



A beautiful night walking back to the room.




I snapped a few pictures the next morning when I woke up. 
 I loved the view from our rooftop pool/patio.



Michael and I took a walk every morning along the beautiful pathways in the resort.  I told him I must be getting old because I didn't want to miss my walk/exercise!


It was a nice time for just the two of us to walk and talk.  The resort has lots of walkways and canals with mangrove trees, flowers, birds, lizards and iguanas.






After our walk, we headed to breakfast with the kids at Las Brisas.  This restaurant has breakfast with a menu.  Everything was so fresh and delicious.  Look at that view.  The next two mornings we went to La Laguna for breakfast, which had a buffet.



This day (Tuesday) was our beach/pool day...all day.  
We loved the beach service with towels, drinks and food to order.  



The kids took kayaks out for a little while, but laying on the beach was everyone's activity of choice.  



Here is Jack enjoying the ocean.  The water was pretty clear, and the waves were held at bay by the breakers out in the water.  Calmer than Puerto Rico, but not as calm as some Caribbean islands.  The water was cool, but nice once you got in.



We loved the shade of the palapas.  None of us got sunburned, which I think is a first!



The kids went to the bar to order some fries.



After some beach time, we retreated to the rooftop pool at our room.  





On Tuesday night, we went to La Laguna - a Mexican restaurant.  But first some pictures of course!




He's always making me laugh!



La Laguna is in the middle of the resort property next to big pool and the adult pool.  Here's the view over the adult pool.



Unfortunately, Jack got sick (threw up) in the room after bedtime on this night!  We think it was porbably too much sun and too much rich food.  This happened to him once before on a beach vacation in Mauritius on our first day there.   I felt so bad about the mess and tried to clean most of it up.  Housekeeping left him a nice note the next day and a smiley face.




I was so happy that Jack felt better in the morning, because he and Grace had a guided kayaking tour that day.  We scheduled this for them while Michael and I had massages at the spa.  The tour was supposed to be for a group, but it was just the kids with the guide.  So they had a private tour.  They loved seeing the canals and various wildlife, and said it was their favorite activity on the trip.  They practiced their Spanish with the guide, and then had a drink (non-alcoholic!) at the beach before meeting us back at the room.

Michael and I LOVED our massages, and the spa was the most luxurious I've ever been to.  After the massage, we spent some time on the rooftop whirlpool and pool.  Very relaxing!




Dinner on Wednesday was at El Puerto, a Latin/Asian fusion restaurant in the main hotel building. 




More walks in the morning!



On Thursday, we spent time at the adults pool.  




Aren't these orchids in the lobby beautiful?  We had an orchid in our room too.


On our way to the cooking class, we stumbled on an arcade in the little "village" on the resort.  They had the coolest games, and we couldn't believe it was free.  Well, it wasn't actually free.  A nice girl came up and let us know there was a fee to come in.  Oops!



These small vultures liked hanging out on our roof.  We have lots of buzzards in our area of Texas, and normally I hate seeing them.  But this nesting couple actually grew on me and seemed kind of cute.  


After the cooking class, where do you think we went?  The rooftop pool.  I love this picture of Michael!



We didn't go out to dinner this night, since we all ate lots of tacos in the cooking class.  We snacked on candy from the mini bar!


Friday morning, no make-up, curly hair...just don't care!


On Friday, we took a boat tour of the property, which is included in the stay.  Our guide told us all about the wildlife, as well as the different hotels within the development.  I thought the canals were natural, but they are actually man-made.  You would never know this!




After the boat tour, we hung out on the beach and then the rooftop pool.  And on our last night, we canceled our dinner reservations and ordered room service.  That's just how relaxed we were.  In fact, our last two breakfasts were also room service.  The food was just as good as in the restaurants.




We were so sad to leave our beach vacation.  It was a great blend of relaxation, sun, and family!

Cancun 2020

No comments

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment...I appreciate you! I will either reply OR click over to your blog and comment there. Thanks for visiting and have a wonderful day!