San Antonio Weekend


We had a wonderful weekend getaway in San Antonio.  We tried a new hotel this time, and I think it was my favorite for a San Antonio weekend.  This time we stayed at the Westin La Cantera.  I used Hotwire to book the room, and it was a great deal.  Hotwire is a little like Priceline in that you don't know the name of the hotel when you book it.  You can go to a website like Better Bidding to get an idea of what hotels are in the area that you are bidding on or purchasing.  For example, there is only one resort style hotel on a golf course near Fiesta Texas.  So I knew that the hotel I was booking was the Westin.  And our rate was about half the rate listed on the Westin website.






When we arrived, we thought we'd sign up for the "Frequent Stay" club.  Imagine our surprise when we found out that Michael was already a member and had gold status.  What?  Was this from all those Sheraton stays in Louisiana and Alabama?  We weren't sure, but we were happy to get a room upgrade!  They put us on the ground floor with a patio door onto a wooded spa area.  It was so convenient.  

Here's the view from our room!

When we arrived Friday, we went swimming for awhile.  I'm glad we did, because the weather for the rest of the weekend was pretty cool.  After swimming, we ate dinner on a patio, roasted s'mores, and watched a little of a movie on the lawn.  Since the movie didn't start til 9pm, we went in after a little bit to go to bed.






Saturday morning we ate a big breakfast and then went to the kids club area to see an animal presentation.  They brought in a scorpion, tarantula, skink, hedgehog, snake, and baby wallaby.  So cute.  After that, we went to Fiesta Texas for the day.  I loved that the hotel had a quick shuttle so we didn't have to pay $15 parking!




Fiesta Texas was so fun.  Jack went on a few roller coasters, his favorite being the Big Spin.  He loved the log ride too.  The favorite of both kids was the Whirligig swing ride.  Michael and I rode that once, and both of got off with our head spinning.  It's funny how all those rides feel a little different on your body the older you get!  ha!


After Fiesta Texas, we headed back to the hotel for s'mores and another movie.  This time it started at 8pm, so we made it through the whole show.




Sunday we ate another big breakfast and then walked the Nature trail at the hotel.  We had to come back a little early to make it to Jack's basketball game at 2:00.

We were all tired, but I was glad we came back.  Jack's team is working so hard to learn the game, but it has been a tough season so far learning all the rules, getting new skills and playing older kids.  It is a league for 6 and 7 year olds, and most of Jack's team is 6.  Some of the other teams are 7 about to turn 8.  There is a big difference in size and skill level for these ages!

Here are all the pictures in a slide show.

1 comment

  1. What a fun trip!
    We're in San Antonio now. My Hubby had to be here for a conference, so we brought our homeschool stuff & came with him. I love visiting SA, so much to do and so much to explore. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment...I appreciate you! I will either reply OR click over to your blog and comment there. Thanks for visiting and have a wonderful day!