After months (years?) of waiting, the touring show of Hamilton finally rolled into town. Grace started listening to this soundtrack 2 years ago when she was in 8th grade.
When we heard that it would be coming to Houston, we decided to get Broadway Across America season tickets so we could be sure to have tickets. I can honestly say those season tickets (finishing our second year now) were one of the best things we ever did! It has been a wonderful mother-daughter special activity, as well as some great dates and even one that Grace and Jack attended together. We added seats on for special shows so the whole family could attend - School of Rock, Lion King and now Hamilton!
We all decided to get a little dressed up for this event. It was lots of fun!
Jack is almost as tall as Grace now. I'm so proud of these kids!
We headed into town to get some early lunch before the show. We tried a new-to-us restaurant called Pass and Provision. One side of the restaurant (Pass) is dressy and more formal. We chose the Provision side for an informal brunch. The walls were made of recycled wood gym floors, and the decor was really cool. The food was just "pretty good" for me, and I'm not sure I would pick it again with so many options in Houston!
Jack opted for a Mexican Coke with his burger. When I told Grace to smile for a picture, Michael gave her his beer for a pose.
Here we are at the Hobby Center. Wow, I have never seen the place so crowded and abuzz with activity. We got there really early knowing the traffic and parking would be more than usual. With 90 minutes til curtain, the parking garage was almost full!
Since we were early, we stepped out on the patio balcony to wait for the show. It was a beautiful day!
The show itself? Absolutely, positively worth all the hype and then some. It has both rap and traditional music, witty banter and a fresh take on colonial politics, incredible costumes and excellent choreography. We all loved it! I'd see it again in a minute!
Usually our stage door is only for a few die-hard fans after a show. Obviously Hamilton attracted a much bigger crowd.
We told the kids to run out there to get a good spot after the show. Michael and I took our time, and found Jack being such a good little brother, standing with Grace and being her photographer! They stayed out there for quite awhile. We never mind this since it allows the traffic in the parking garage to die down.
Above is the actor that played Aaron Burr.
And the last actor to emerge...Alexander Hamilton, of course. What a talented group of actors!
Hamilton was such a fun day in the city for us, and a great way to end our 2017-18 theater season!

You make me want to go to the theater so bad! I love how y'all do this as a family!
ReplyDeleteSo much fun for your precious family! You are making memories. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome family day! I would love to see Wicked again myself! My best friend and I saw it on Broadway and now it's touring with stops in Memphis and New Orleans. I would love to take Alise, but I just don't think she would appreciate it as much as I do.
ReplyDeleteSo fun! I would like to see that show some day!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun family outing. It so makes me want to buy theater tickets again. Hubby had them when we first start dating. So many fond memories. And the kids look so grown up!
ReplyDelete