Whew...let the whirlwind of May begin! We had such a fun weekend packed with activity.
We kicked things off with Grace's 16th Birthday. The day started with her traditional birthday display table and some donuts for breakfast.
She had a regular day at school, and then headed to the local children's theater to help with costumes and makeup. We took her out for gelato after she finished. You can read more about her birthday here.
Also on Friday night, Jack had his 8th grade party. We had a pizza dinner at the house before the dance. He and his friends had lots of fun at the party with ping pong, casino games, karaoke and more. I'm not sure if they actually even danced! After the party, they went to another friend's house for swimming. It was a late night and a great culmination of his junior high years! You can read more about the 8th grade party here.
We recently bought 2 bikes to replace the ones in the flood. (Technically, we could have saved our flooded bikes, but they were so gross and dirty (sewage...ewww) that we didn't.) I finally got around to taking a bike ride with Jack, and it was so fun! We better enjoy this cool (less than 90) weather while it lasts!
This big turtle crossed the sidewalk while we were riding!
We took Grace to lunch at Carabba's to celebrate her birthday.
On Sunday morning, we headed to church. After church, I opened my Mother's Day surprises. I was so excited to get a new trash can! What?! I actually hate one of our trash cans, and jokingly told Jack he could get me a new one for Mother's Day. So they did. It was really funny!
Michael picked up some goodies from my fave store Cath Kidston while he was in London. I really got a little obsessed with their products while we were living there, and I was excited to have some new items. I just love the traditional English floral prints. And Cadbury chocolate of course!
Some tea towels. Are those guinea pigs?!
More tea towels
And an apron!
My request for Mother's Day was to spend the afternoon lounging in the pool, so that's just what we did. That evening the family came over for dinner.
It seems like each family event passes, and we don't take any pictures. I was determined to snap some pictures tonight for Mother's Day!
Me and the kids
Michael, his mom Judy and sister Sharon
Judy "Mamaw" with the grandkids
Both Grace and her cousin Emma have birthdays in May, so we had a joint birthday cake. Our HEB makes the best cakes! Emma turned 13, and Grace turned 16.
After a delicious grilled chicken dinner and cake, the kids went swimming. It was a fun night celebrating Mother's Day!
I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day! I don't take for granted one second how blessed I am to be a mom. And I know that Mother's Day can be one of those tough holidays for many people. There are lots of reasons why this day can be hard: a strained relationship with your mom, infertility, a broken relationship with a child, a child fighting a terminal illness, a mother who is difficult to love, a phase of childhood that is extra challenging, a failed marriage, the loss of your mother.
I can claim a few of those reasons personally, so I know how hard it can be.
If it was a bittersweet day for you, I'm sending love your way!
Have a wonderful week.
Linking to:
Happy Monday with My Glittery Heart, The Sirois Family and Lindsay’s Sweet World


Happy Sweet 16 to your gorgeous Grace! And tell Mr. Jack I LOVE his tie! Hope you, beautiful mama, had a GREAT day yesterday and a sweet week ahead!
ReplyDeleteA lovely birthday celebration for Grace and I love Jack's tie! A friend of mine wrote this on her Facebook page - - "I'm sure at sometime in your life, someone called you a mother". It's a tough time of year for those who don't have children, for those who have lost children, for those who can't have children but I think everyone can think of a moment such as this. The time you helped out with a group of young people or baked cupcakes for your peers or gave advice when someone needed it,...helping...giving...mentoring...caring. Those are all mom things, whether you did them for your children or for others. And let's not forget all those who are moms to four-legged friends, they give so much.
ReplyDeleteIt looks like you had a wonderful weekend and Mother's Day! Happy 16th Birthday to Grace!
ReplyDeleteIt's always a good Mother's Day when we can spend it with our family, even if that's via Skype.
ReplyDeleteI am loving that apron & towels!!!!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to your girl.
Looks like a wonderful mother's day. Plus, Chocolate! ;)
You guys were extremely busy this weekend, but I'm so glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great Mother's Day, love that you got a garbage can!
ReplyDeleteGreat Post Tanya... I feel like I have watched your beautiful children grow up on line. Happy birthday to Grace!!
ReplyDeleteHappy Sweet 16 to Grace. Sounds like a wonderful way to spend the day!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE HEB cakes- you have to get a slice of triple chocolate tiger cake from them- so delicious! Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day- you are an awesome mom!
ReplyDelete