Media Monday May 2018


Welcome to the May edition of Media Monday.  Every month, I summarize what I've been reading, watching and listening to in this post.  I have an active account over on GoodReads, so I'd love to add you as a "friend" over there.    I've also added a board on my Pinterest showing all the books I've read in 2018.  Check it out here - 2018 Books!

BOOKS - There were no 5 star reads this month, but I'd recommend any of these books as something that will keep you turning the pages.



The Wife Between Us by Hendricks and Pekkanen - 3 STARS - This psychological thriller is filled with twists and turns.  Like many others in this genre, it focuses on a wife done wrong by her rich husband.  I liked this book, and probably would have given it 4 stars if I hadn't just read The Last Mrs. Parrish.  The two books are very similar, and sometimes I even had trouble keeping the stories straight.  So my advice...pick on of these very popular books to read this year, but maybe not both!



The Rooster Bar by John Grisham - 4 STARS - After all that psychological drama, I was ready for a "back to the basics" good ol' John Grisham novel.  The Rooster Bar fit the bill perfectly.  Three law students realize that their education from a for-profit law school is pretty much worthless.  Using fake identities and class action lawsuits, they get revenge on the big corporation.  This is a familiar plot in a Grisham book, but it works!  Enjoyed this one.



Pray for Silence by Linda Castillo - 4 STARS - Another audio book!  Laura mentioned reading one of the books in this series about a police chief in Amish country.  After she mentioned it, I realized I had already read the first book in the series, so I decided to pick up another one.  The female police chief grew up Amish, so there are lots of interesting insights on the "simple" life.



Let Me Lie by Clare Mackintosh - 4 STARS - Whew, couldn't stop listening to this one!  I really enjoyed Mackintosh's first book called I Let You Go, so I looked forward to reading her newest novel. This book involved a woman trying to get to the bottom of the apparent suicide of both her parents.  There is also a retired police detective who narrates alternating chapters, and the mystery unravels.  



The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn - 4 STARS - An agoraphobic woman sees a crime from her window and the story unfolds.  Like any good thriller, things are not always what they seem.  There were some real shocking moments in this book.  This is already optioned for a movie starring Amy Adams, and I found the NPR interview with the author very interesting!



The Flight Attendant by Chris Bohjalian - 3 STARS - A binge drinking flight attendant wakes up in a hotel room in Dubai to find a dead man in bed with her.  I really enjoyed this story - solving the mystery, the FBI and some KGB thrown in there too.  But I just couldn't stand Cassie, the main character.  Her life was just a hot mess, with drinking, one night stands, lying and lots of stupid decisions.  Still, it was an entertaining read.


TV/MOVIES


The kids and I watched the Netflix series Lost in Space while Michael was out of town earlier this month.  It was a fun little space drama, and not nearly as cheesy as the original.  "Danger, Will Robinson!"

Michael and I are in Season 4 of the Americans and can't stop watching!  

To summarize, here's what I read this month:
The Flight Attendant by Chris Bohjalian
Let Me Lie by Clare Mackintosh

What have you been reading, watching and listening to this month?


Media Monday 2018


Linking to:
Quick Lit with Modern Mrs. Darcy
What We're Reading Wednesday with Wife Mommy Me
Show Us You Books with Steph and Jana
Book by Book with Taz and Belly and Rachel Dawson
Happy Monday with My Glittery Heart, The Sirois Family and Lindsay’s Sweet World
What’s Hap-Pinning Wednesday with Jenn and Jessi
Welcome Wednesday with Polka-Dotty Place, Lindsay's Sweet World and others

13 comments

  1. Aw! I hate you didn't enjoy The Flight Attendant as much as I did!! I didn't like Cassie, either, but what a hot mess!! I guess I kinda just overlooked her and enjoyed the storyline more. I was glad to see she got her act together in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Flight Attendant is on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to check out Let Me Lie on audiobook! I think audiobooks can seriously make a huge difference on whether on not you enjoy a story! Currently I'm listening to Into the Water and I'm loving it on audiobook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like I have been waiting for Let me Lie from the library forever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so jealous of everyone who's gotten to read The Woman in the Window. I've been waiting forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I need to cancel my hold on The Last Mrs. Parish then, I'm number 8 on that with my library. Thanks for that update!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked The Wife Between Us but agree that so many books these days seem to have the same DNA running through them that it can be difficult to keep them separate. It's honestly a bit frustrating. I also enjoyed The Flight Attendant. Cassie drove me nuts but I felt her actions were true to who she was and she knew she was a hot mess, which was her saving grace for me. I'm on the fence about Let Me In. I loved I Let You Go but hated I See You. Ack! I can't decide!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i loved i let you go, but then i heard her next book wasn't as good.. but i think that one is her next next book lol so good to hear you liked it, i'll add it to my list. i liked the woman in the window, i have the wife between us at home, so hopefully getting to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked The Wife Between Us just fine.

    Loved The Woman in the Window!

    And I love love love Kate Burkholder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really liked the first Kate Burkholder book and I need to get to all the rest. I hope to read The Wife Between us sometime this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm curious about Let Me Lie - it seems like the author has a lot of great suspense books out there.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hoping to get to The Wife Between Us this month. Have been hearing alot about The Flight Attendant. Pam :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many thrillers! I want to read The Flight Attendant! XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment...I appreciate you! I will either reply OR click over to your blog and comment there. Thanks for visiting and have a wonderful day!